aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Cohen <jco...@twopensource.com>
Subject Testing our UI code
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:44:07 GMT
Hi all,

I recently posted an update on this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-451 describing what I see as
the best way forward to enable tests for our UI code. I figured this
warranted some extra attention so calling it out here as well. To restate
what's in the ticket, I propose the following:

   - Add gradle nodejs support (https://github.com/srs/gradle-node-plugin).
   This lets us use node.js to drive tests but does not require developers
   install node.js manually. The plugin instead manages the node.js install
   for you.
   - Configure karma (
   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22336537/how-to-run-js-karma-tests-from-gradle).
   Karma is a test runner that can launch webdriver tests for testing angular
   apps in the browser.
   - Write tests (https://docs.angularjs.org/guide/unit-testing). Should
   speak for itself.

The benefit of using karma/webdriver is that tests will load code the same
way the browser does, so no need to bring in something like
browserify/webpack so that code can be resolved in a node.js environment as
well as in the browser.

Interested to hear thoughts on this proposal.

Thanks!

Joshua