aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Farner <terasur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Meaning and usage of job environments
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 21:07:37 GMT
Environments were introduced as a first-class concept for namespacing.  In
theory, it's useful so you can have something like a 'test' namespace that
contains all the same jobs as the 'prod' namespace.  Prior to this, users
were namespacing within the job name, which was not so nice.  There have
also been discussions around implied policy with environment names, but
that has not materialized.

In general, would you be opposed to moving this validation to the
> scheduler, so that it can be configured cluster wide?

I've wanted to see this happen, an would be in favor.

This would enable us to introduce environment names which are closer to our
> domain and organization.  Or is this even somewhat covered in the upcoming
> job tier implementation?

It's not covered by tiers.  Tiers are loosely related to environments, but
the current plan is to keep them decoupled.  I would encourage you to
explore the scheduler-side enforcement.