aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sweeney <kevi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aurora 0.9.0 rpms
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 22:33:20 GMT
Overall -1

-1 Package naming: we use two different naming schemes for RPMs vs. DEBs. -
in debs the clients are aurora-tools, the executor is aurora-executor, and
the scheduler is aurora-scheduler. In the RPM version the scheduler is
aurora, the clients are aurora-client, and the executor is aurora-thermos.
I think converging the two naming schemes now before our first "official
packages" will save our community a lot of cognitive overhead in the long
run. No strong opinions here as long as they're consistent, but the debian
names seem closer to reality (except aurora-tools, which seems like it
should be aurora-client).

+0 Packaging test instructions - provision.sh installs a bunch of packages
out-of-band. Part of testing whether packages work should be installing
them in minimal system to ensure their dependencies are complete IMO. It
looks like the mesos needs to be installed out-of-band first, but zookeeper
can wait until after the it's verified that the aurora packages install.

+0 Package dependencies - aurora (scheduler package) depends on
java-1.8.0-openjdk but can be set to depend on java-1.8.0 instead, allowing
folks to easily substitute jdks from their favorite vendors in the standard
way. This is transparent because the openjdk package Provides java-1.8.0 -
see [1].

+1 Working code - RPMs work when the build instructions are followed.

[1]
http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/centos/updates/7.1.1503/x86_64/Packages/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.51-1.b16.el7_1.x86_64.html

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Maxim Khutornenko <maxim@apache.org> wrote:

> +1!
>
> Instructions are superb and made verification a blast!
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Joshua Cohen <jcohen@twopensource.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks for the vagrant VM and the verification instructions. Made life
> much
> > easier!
> >
> > I was able to install the rpm and successfully create a job, stat and
> kill
> > a job. +1 from me!
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Bill Farner <terasurfer@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for chiming in!  This vote is specifically for RPMs targeting
> >> centos7.  We have not yet had a contribution for centos6 RPMs, but would
> >> welcome them!  The contribution would amount to implementing a builder
> >> similar to what you see here:
> >>
> https://github.com/apache/aurora-packaging/tree/master/builder/rpm/centos-7

> installing
> >> > >

> https://github.com/wfarner/aurora-packaging/tree/wfarner/deb_testing/test/rpm/centos-7