aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Farner <wfar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aurora + Docker containerizer
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 18:02:18 GMT

> We need to pass any docker run param e.g. environment variables, volumes.
> ATM we are limited by Aurora, because Mesos (correct me if I’m wrong)
> provides many more options to frameworks

The only technical blocker here is lack of plumbing out to our
configuration language.  I doubt there will be much controversy for
plumbing environment variables, but volumes is something we would need to
enable with caution.  Specifically, it raises new security issues, an would
need some controls.

That said, i (personally) would entertain patches around this.

We need to have docker network solutions other than --net=host, AFAIU it
> does not relate only to my first bullet point

Can you elaborate on this?  What mode(s) are you looking to enable?

We need to be able to schedule “pure” docker containers, e.g. docker run -d
> nginx, without overriding CMD and without python in base image, do you
> think it can be possible with Aurora?

This is certainly possible; the easiest path i can see would be to avoid
use of the thermos executor, and augment the scheduler to understand a new
executor type [1] and handle it differently when creating mesos tasks [2].
This gets a bit tricky when it comes to expressing this in the
configuration language.  There's an active discussion around this [3].

[1]
https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/6fc7f58ed1f38f6d34f92372a4a1338715db266c/api/src/main/thrift/org/apache/aurora/gen/api.thrift#L182-L187
[2]
https://github.com/apache/aurora/blob/218457b9815a83d1e84598ca1c5912d87720eb5a/src/main/java/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/mesos/MesosTaskFactory.java#L117