aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Wickman <wick...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the status of pesos
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:33:23 GMT
My only reservation with aurora-* repos is that it discourages discovery
and will lead to confusion about the scope of the projects.  pesos and
compactor are broadly useful to the mesos ecosystem, so names like
'aurora-pesos' can genuinely draw people away.

It sounds like the main concerns people have with the status quo revolves
around ownership (who can merge patches) and quality (that all code merged
to master is reviewed with the same scrutiny as the rest of Aurora.)  I
think these are reasonable concerns, but I think they're more valid once we
rely upon the code for production.  Right now pesos is purely an optional
feature, so I don't think that the above review should be blocked on the
"incubating" nature of pesos, otherwise we'll be stuck with a
chicken-and-egg situation where we have little way to vet the code in a
meaningful way.

Here's a counterproposal: we create an Aurora top level project on github a
la mesos (call it aurora-incubating, aurora-project, apache-aurora,
whatever, since aurora is taken), giving all committers write access to all
projects therein.  We may not be able to rely upon reviewboard, but we can
at least solve the problem of ownership.

Thoughts?