aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Maxim Khutornenko <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: reasonable preemption delay to use
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:36:31 GMT
The watch_secs is triggered when a task enters RUNNING. In order for
the rolling update to not fail early the restart_threshold [1] needs
to be bumped up to account for the preemption delay.

As for the default preemption delay, it was implemented to avoid
unnecessary churn in the cluster. Larger/constraint-diverse tasks take
longer to bin-place, as such there could be occasional scheduling
delays when resources are tight. Hence, the grace buffer. You can
definitely dial it in given the specifics of your cluster.

Thanks,
Maxim

[1] - https://github.com/apache/incubator-aurora/blob/master/docs/configuration-reference.md#updateconfig-objects

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Erb, Stephan
<Stephan.Erb@blue-yonder.com> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, you also have to make sure that your UpdateConfig watch_secs
is larger than your preemption_delay. Otherwise a rolling update of a production job might
not be able to get the resources it needs.