aurora-dev mailing list archives

From David McLaughlin <dmclaugh...@apache.org>
Subject Feature proposal: ability to apply a block on all updates in the scheduler
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:51:33 GMT
Hi aurora-dev,

I'd like to propose a feature that I think could be useful to
admins/operators of Aurora clusters. The feature would be to allow an
administrator of the cluster to "block" write operations from happening in
the scheduler, essentially putting it into read-only mode for a period of
time. It could be a simple global lock across the entire cluster or we
could get sophisticated and apply locks across roles, environments or
specific jobs.

I think this has the potential to be very simple (reject new RPCs but allow
existing operations to continue) or it can start to get complicated (also
pause all in-progress updates and other reschedule events).

Would welcome feedback on this idea before I create a ticket.

Thanks,
David