aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph Smith <yasumo...@gmail.com>
Subject [proposal] Deprecate the Thermos CLI
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 02:26:55 GMT
Hi everyone,

After reviewing the functionality offered by the Thermos Commandline tool vs. what’s exported
via the Thermos Observer, I was hoping to bring up a question I had:

Can we deprecate the Thermos CLI?

Removing this would decrease the number of components required for a functional Aurora installation
(a huge victory, in my opinion) and also enable the Observer to fully take over the duty of
providing visibility into what’s running on a most. In addition, maintenance is performed
via the HostMaintenance API <https://github.com/apache/incubator-aurora/blob/master/src/main/python/apache/aurora/admin/host_maintenance.py#L26>
 and should not be done using thermos kill, which would cause LOST tasks.

That said, removing this tool makes it much more difficult for Thermos to be used as a monit
<http://mmonit.com/monit/> replacement, which is actually rather feasible now. In addition,
it also forces people to remember + learn the port the Observer is running on in order to
get information about tasks.

Any thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe