aurora-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #aurora
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 19:30:40 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #aurora at Mon Jan  5 19:00:57 2015:

Attendees: derfloh_, lexinator, jfarrell, t3hSteve, jcohen, wfarner, kts, jaybuff, mkhutornenko,
jaybuff_, Arunabha, dlester, t3hSteve_, wickman

- Preface
- Docker support
  - Action: wfarner to review docker patch by eow
  - Action: kevints to review docker patch by eow
- 0.7.0 release candidate
- authN/authZ support


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:13 2015] <kts>: good morning everyone, let's get started with a quick
roll call
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:21 2015] <wfarner>: here
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:22 2015] <mkhutornenko>: here
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:26 2015] <derfloh_>: here
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:26 2015] <kts>: while we're doing this, does anyone have topics for
the agenda?
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:28 2015] <t3hSteve_>: here
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:40 2015] <dlester>: hello hello
[Mon Jan  5 19:01:45 2015] <wfarner>: agenda item: docker support
[Mon Jan  5 19:02:08 2015] <jcohen>: here
[Mon Jan  5 19:02:12 2015] <mkhutornenko>: agenda item: 0.7.0 release candidate
[Mon Jan  5 19:02:24 2015] <kts>: agenda item: authN/Z support
[Mon Jan  5 19:03:02 2015] <kts>: i see some new handles, anyone interested in a round
of introductions?
[Mon Jan  5 19:03:35 2015] <t3hSteve>: ACTION waves
[Mon Jan  5 19:03:45 2015] <derfloh_>: :)
[Mon Jan  5 19:04:22 2015] <kts>: t3hSteve: you're the one who submitted this patch:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/29464/ right?
[Mon Jan  5 19:04:32 2015] <t3hSteve>: correct
[Mon Jan  5 19:04:34 2015] <Arunabha>: ACTION waves
[Mon Jan  5 19:04:37 2015] <t3hSteve>: and the docker one
[Mon Jan  5 19:04:42 2015] <derfloh_>: hi, I'm new here ;) working at gutefrage.net,
we're using aurora now since ~1 month (moved away from marathon)... and i'm hoping to start
contributing soon ;)
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:01 2015] <kts>: awesome, welcome everyone
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:09 2015] <kts>: hi Arunabha
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:09 2015] <dlester>: t3hSteve: derfloh_: welcome!
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:14 2015] <wfarner>: welcome!
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:15 2015] <jfarrell>: hey danneh_ welcome
## Docker support ##
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:38 2015] <Arunabha>: New here as well. Working on building out a large
Mesos cluster at Moz
[Mon Jan  5 19:05:39 2015] <kts>: jaybuff_: yt?
[Mon Jan  5 19:06:05 2015] <wfarner>: AURORA-633
[Mon Jan  5 19:06:50 2015] <kts>: who wants to lead this topic?
[Mon Jan  5 19:06:53 2015] <wfarner>: i'm behind on the discussion and review on this,
but pitching in on this review is high on my list for this week
[Mon Jan  5 19:06:55 2015] <t3hSteve>: so we've been running basically that build now
for a few weeks on our clusters
[Mon Jan  5 19:07:32 2015] <t3hSteve>: I've been updating the docs to include docker
related info as well, should have a patch set for that on RB soon
[Mon Jan  5 19:07:37 2015] <wfarner>: t3hSteve: awesome!  smooth sailing?  any rough
edges we should keep in mind?
[Mon Jan  5 19:08:00 2015] <t3hSteve>: pretty smooth so far, the only got-cha is the
requirements for running the executor inside a container
[Mon Jan  5 19:08:15 2015] <t3hSteve>: but as long as people are aware of that it's
not an issue really
[Mon Jan  5 19:08:27 2015] <t3hSteve>: (libmesos has some external deps)
[Mon Jan  5 19:08:53 2015] <wfarner>: good to know
[Mon Jan  5 19:09:04 2015] <t3hSteve>: those will be called out in the docs
[Mon Jan  5 19:09:24 2015] <jfarrell>: t3hSteve: i have an open ticket in mesos on that,
i need to find some time and dig into that issue
[Mon Jan  5 19:09:43 2015] <t3hSteve>: a few weeks ago we talked about moving to pesos
instead of libmesos
[Mon Jan  5 19:10:00 2015] <t3hSteve>: for the executor, but I haven't looked into that
very much yet
[Mon Jan  5 19:10:32 2015] <Arunabha>: Regarding the docs, the existing doc on deploying
Aurora has no instructions on building and deploying Thermos, t3hSteve do you have anything
written up on that ?
[Mon Jan  5 19:10:51 2015] <t3hSteve>: no, I always used vagrant so it was really easy
[Mon Jan  5 19:10:57 2015] <wfarner>: i think i can safely speak for the rest of the
dev group when i say we would love to see a move to pesos
[Mon Jan  5 19:11:05 2015] <kts>: +1 to pesos
[Mon Jan  5 19:11:23 2015] <jaybuff_>: ACTION is here now
[Mon Jan  5 19:11:28 2015] <wickman>: i'll be shifting focus to work on that in the
next few weeks.
[Mon Jan  5 19:11:39 2015] <t3hSteve>: that'd be awesome
[Mon Jan  5 19:12:30 2015] <kts>: t3hSteve: one question: are you using the cgroups
isolator with docker?
[Mon Jan  5 19:12:58 2015] <t3hSteve>: yeah
[Mon Jan  5 19:13:32 2015] <kts>: and containers are correctly cpu and ram-limited,
as far as you're aware?
[Mon Jan  5 19:13:47 2015] <t3hSteve>: yep, 100% sure RAM limited, we've seen a few
OOM killers so far :)
[Mon Jan  5 19:14:08 2015] <t3hSteve>: I haven't done a lot of testing with CPU, but
I can confirm the cgroups are configured to be limited
[Mon Jan  5 19:15:01 2015] <wfarner>: anything more on this topic?
[Mon Jan  5 19:15:18 2015] <kts>: jaybuff: do you have anything to add on this?
[Mon Jan  5 19:15:19 2015] <t3hSteve>: do we have a target for getting it merged in?
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:06 2015] <kts>: let's assign a committer as reviewer, with an end-of-week
deadline for a review?
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:09 2015] <wfarner>: i hope to have a handle on the code and a competent
review by EOW
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:17 2015] <jaybuff>: nope, i've given steve tons of feedback
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:22 2015] <jaybuff>: so all my comments are in the review
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:25 2015] <kts>: #action wfarner to review docker patch by eow
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:40 2015] <wfarner>: i think we need a few hands on this though, i
don't want to become the "aurora docker" guy
[Mon Jan  5 19:16:54 2015] <kts>: i'll volunteer
[Mon Jan  5 19:17:01 2015] <wfarner>: thanks
[Mon Jan  5 19:17:02 2015] <kts>: #action kevints to review docker patch by eow
[Mon Jan  5 19:17:28 2015] <t3hSteve>: yeah jaybuff I think almost all your feedback
is reflected in the latest code
[Mon Jan  5 19:17:44 2015] <t3hSteve>: but I definitely appreciate any more feedback
you guys have
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:19 2015] <jaybuff>: yes, i read your comments, but i haven't re-reviewed
code to confirm
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:22 2015] <kts>: all right, next up is
## 0.7.0 release candidate ##
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:29 2015] <dlester>: t3hSteve: I'm stoked you've contributed this back!
I anticipate a lot of folks in the community will use this
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:43 2015] <t3hSteve>: :) I hope so!  it's been a huge hit so far here
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:44 2015] <kts>: mkhutornenko: would you like to lead here?
[Mon Jan  5 19:18:52 2015] <jaybuff>: kts/wfarner, let's do a google hangout this week
sometime to go over hwo this works
[Mon Jan  5 19:19:09 2015] <mkhutornenko>: AURORA-872
[Mon Jan  5 19:19:22 2015] <dlester>: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-872
[Mon Jan  5 19:19:33 2015] <mkhutornenko>: all blocking work items are either resolved
or in review
[Mon Jan  5 19:19:58 2015] <wfarner>: this is awesome
[Mon Jan  5 19:19:59 2015] <mkhutornenko>: we should be able to cut a release candidate
once the remaining reviewable items are in
[Mon Jan  5 19:20:32 2015] <wfarner>: reviewers - please double down on this, getting
another release early in january would be great
[Mon Jan  5 19:20:39 2015] <dlester>: mkhutornenko: should we consider adding the Docker
patch to the 0.7.0 release, assuming it doesn't require much additional time to review?
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:10 2015] <mkhutornenko>: dlester: I was just typing about that :)
depending on the docker work progress it may get into 0.7.0
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:24 2015] <wfarner>: dlester: i wonder if we should adopt some sort
of "incubating features" designation for things like this
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:25 2015] <kts>: i'd be supportive with a (Beta) label if it's reviewed
on time
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:34 2015] <kts>: or that
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:35 2015] <mkhutornenko>: but I don't think we should block 0.7.0 on
docker
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:44 2015] <mkhutornenko>: kts: +1
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:47 2015] <t3hSteve>: I agree I dont think we should let this block
0.7.0
[Mon Jan  5 19:21:50 2015] <wfarner>: just to send the appropriate messaging that we
haven't battle-tested it yet
[Mon Jan  5 19:22:20 2015] <dlester>: kts wfarner: +1
[Mon Jan  5 19:22:54 2015] <kts>: next agenda item:
[Mon Jan  5 19:22:54 2015] <wfarner>: mkhutornenko: can you link the docker ticket to
the 0.7.0 RC ticket?  if we get into a spot where it looks like it might hold up the release,
we can defer
[Mon Jan  5 19:23:06 2015] <mkhutornenko>: wfarner: will do
[Mon Jan  5 19:23:11 2015] <wfarner>: thanks!
## authN/authZ support ##
[Mon Jan  5 19:23:31 2015] <kts>: AURORA-351
[Mon Jan  5 19:24:10 2015] <kts>: im planning to pick up work on this in the next week,
so set aside some time to review a design doc if you care about this
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:12 2015] <kts>: i've got a preliminary implementation sketched out
that will translate nicely if we decide to implement a first-class REST API
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:33 2015] <kts>: that's all i've got there
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:36 2015] <lexinator>: i can also assist review since i've done code
regarding kerberos.
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:40 2015] <wfarner>: related: AURORA-987
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:53 2015] <kts>: lexinator: that'd be great!
[Mon Jan  5 19:25:58 2015] <kts>: AURORA-987
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:07 2015] <kts>: any last-minute topics?
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:15 2015] <t3hSteve>: I have one more thing
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:23 2015] <kts>: t3hSteve: floor is yours
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:29 2015] <t3hSteve>: george is working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-95
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:48 2015] <t3hSteve>: so there might be some code reviews coming in
for that
[Mon Jan  5 19:26:54 2015] <t3hSteve>: just to make everyone aware
[Mon Jan  5 19:27:15 2015] <wfarner>: t3hSteve: awesome!  we had someone take a stab
at that a while back, though i can't recall what trouble the developer ran into
[Mon Jan  5 19:27:24 2015] <wfarner>: a nice feature addition, nonetheless
[Mon Jan  5 19:27:29 2015] <kts>: t3hSteve: great, can you have them assign the ticket
to themself :)
[Mon Jan  5 19:27:38 2015] <t3hSteve>: sure
[Mon Jan  5 19:27:42 2015] <wickman>: we didn't really run into issues.  we just decided
for policy reasons to just delegate that to users instead.
[Mon Jan  5 19:28:06 2015] <wickman>: obviously in the open source, we have less control
over our users' applications
[Mon Jan  5 19:28:10 2015] <t3hSteve>: wickman: maybe we can talk offline after this
[Mon Jan  5 19:28:46 2015] <wfarner>: between another release, major contributions from
non-twitter employees, it seems like we're making good momentum towards graduation
[Mon Jan  5 19:28:52 2015] <wfarner>: this is very exciting
[Mon Jan  5 19:29:08 2015] <t3hSteve>: *cheer*
[Mon Jan  5 19:29:33 2015] <kts>: indeed
[Mon Jan  5 19:30:17 2015] <kts>: all right that's the meeting, thanks for coming everyone!
[Mon Jan  5 19:30:20 2015] <kts>: ASFBot: meeting stop


Meeting ended at Mon Jan  5 19:30:20 2015

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message