aurora-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #aurora
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2014 19:21:31 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #aurora at Mon Dec  1 19:01:35 2014:

Attendees: derfloh_, lexinator, wickman, jfarrell, jcohen, wfarner, kts, mkhutornenko, benley,
zmanji, dlester

- Preface
- 0.6.0 release complete
  - Action: update website for 0.6.0 release
  - Action: dlester to set up blog on aurora site, wfarner to assist
- 0.7.0 release planning
  - Action: start a thread on dev@ to plan features for 0.7.0 (wfarner)
- 0.6.0 packaging


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Mon Dec  1 19:01:48 2014] <wfarner>: As usual, let's start with a roll call
[Mon Dec  1 19:01:49 2014] <wfarner>: here
[Mon Dec  1 19:01:55 2014] <jcohen>: morning
[Mon Dec  1 19:01:57 2014] <lexinator>: here
[Mon Dec  1 19:02:02 2014] <mkhutornenko>: here
[Mon Dec  1 19:02:02 2014] <dlester>: present
[Mon Dec  1 19:02:12 2014] <jfarrell>: here
[Mon Dec  1 19:02:32 2014] <wickman>: aloha
[Mon Dec  1 19:03:19 2014] <wfarner>: looking through recent JIRA activity, not a whole
lot to report on that front
## 0.6.0 release complete ##
[Mon Dec  1 19:03:40 2014] <wfarner>: the dead horse has been successfully beaten -
0.6.0 is out!
[Mon Dec  1 19:03:43 2014] <wfarner>: AURORA-711
[Mon Dec  1 19:03:59 2014] <jfarrell>: #action update website for 0.6.0 release
[Mon Dec  1 19:04:00 2014] <wfarner>: thanks again to everyone who contributed
[Mon Dec  1 19:04:27 2014] <wfarner>: also, dlester started a thread this morning suggesting
a blog post
[Mon Dec  1 19:04:32 2014] <dlester>: whoohoo!
[Mon Dec  1 19:04:53 2014] <wfarner>: i was actually unaware we had a blog at our disposal,
this is welcome news :-)
[Mon Dec  1 19:05:04 2014] <jfarrell>: think its a great idea, we cant get it on blogs.a.o
until we are a tlp, but good to get it started now
[Mon Dec  1 19:05:33 2014] <dlester>: jfarrell: I'd suggest adding a blog to the Aurora
website; we have that for mesos and it's just a few lines of code to add to middleman
[Mon Dec  1 19:06:01 2014] <wfarner>: thread, for context: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aurora-dev/201412.mbox/%3C1417457367.7261741%40apps.rackspace.com%3E
[Mon Dec  1 19:06:13 2014] <dlester>: an example post from Mesos, here: http://mesos.apache.org/blog/mesos-0-21-0-released/
[Mon Dec  1 19:06:20 2014] <wfarner>: dlester: is this something you have the capacity
to lead?
[Mon Dec  1 19:06:29 2014] <jfarrell>: have read, and agree. was thinking more along
lines of when we got tlp adding that to the feeds that blogs.a.o pulls in
[Mon Dec  1 19:06:43 2014] <dlester>: jfarrell: got it, I agree
[Mon Dec  1 19:07:10 2014] <dlester>: wfarner: yes, I can as long as I get assistance
revising/writing the draft post
[Mon Dec  1 19:07:22 2014] <wfarner>: happy to help there
[Mon Dec  1 19:07:51 2014] <wfarner>: #action dlester to set up blog on aurora site,
wfarner to assist
[Mon Dec  1 19:07:56 2014] <dlester>: Also, we have a soon-to-be-released Mesos blog
planet that will aggregate posts from the community -- I'd like to have the Aurora blog aggregated
there as well
[Mon Dec  1 19:08:39 2014] <kts>: sorry im late folks, +1 to blog
[Mon Dec  1 19:09:01 2014] <wfarner>: any final words on that topic?
## 0.7.0 release planning ##
[Mon Dec  1 19:09:38 2014] <wfarner>: AURORA-872
[Mon Dec  1 19:10:41 2014] <wfarner>: so far 0.7.0 is ~completely removing deprecated
behavior, but it would be good to decide if there are feature milestones we would like to
add
[Mon Dec  1 19:10:56 2014] <wfarner>: does anybody have a preference for where that
planning takes place?  should it be an e-mail thread?
[Mon Dec  1 19:11:02 2014] <wfarner>: (hoping to establish a precedent)
[Mon Dec  1 19:11:15 2014] <zmanji>: I think an email thread is the best way to do planning.
It will allow the most number of people to chime in
[Mon Dec  1 19:11:21 2014] <jcohen>: +1
[Mon Dec  1 19:11:36 2014] <kts>: +1
[Mon Dec  1 19:12:19 2014] <wfarner>: #action start a thread on dev@ to plan features
for 0.7.0 (wfarner)
[Mon Dec  1 19:12:48 2014] <wfarner>: that's all the topics i have in mind, open call
for topics
## 0.6.0 packaging ##
[Mon Dec  1 19:13:22 2014] <wfarner>: zmanji: thanks, great suggestion
[Mon Dec  1 19:13:25 2014] <benley>: oh hey I started working on that
[Mon Dec  1 19:13:26 2014] <zmanji>: Should we make any effort to package 0.6.0 so users
have an easy process?
[Mon Dec  1 19:13:37 2014] <wfarner>: AURORA-282
[Mon Dec  1 19:13:58 2014] <wfarner>: i don't have capacity to do this myself, but would
really love to see it happen
[Mon Dec  1 19:14:00 2014] <zmanji>: benley: can you share your progress on that ticket?
[Mon Dec  1 19:14:12 2014] <benley>: https://github.com/benley/incubator-aurora <--
the debian/trusty branch there is buildable
[Mon Dec  1 19:14:15 2014] <benley>: yes totally
[Mon Dec  1 19:14:28 2014] <jcohen>: awesome!
[Mon Dec  1 19:14:52 2014] <benley>: I'm trying to do it as an actual debian source
package, not using fpm
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:03 2014] <jfarrell>: benley: +1
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:06 2014] <wfarner>: +1
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:06 2014] <jfarrell>: we can offer the source to build them right now
but we should hold on publishing the packages, there are some issues being talked about in
infra for deb/rpm package distrobution and we are in the works on making it available
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:09 2014] <kts>: benley: awesome
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:11 2014] <benley>: Which is totally doable, as long as you allow the
build process to download things from the internet.
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:25 2014] <jfarrell>: if you need help or review on those please ping,
happy to help
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:30 2014] <wfarner>: ditto
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:34 2014] <kts>: even excluding distribution-specific packages I think
we should publish language-specific ones
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:40 2014] <kts>: (pypi + maven central)
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:52 2014] <benley>: I should have some packages up for testing sometime
this week.
[Mon Dec  1 19:15:57 2014] <kts>: as well as a "universal" binary (the gradle application
bundle for the scheduler)
[Mon Dec  1 19:16:05 2014] <wfarner>: kts: is that normal for something that is not
intended to be consumed as a library?
[Mon Dec  1 19:16:28 2014] <kts>: wfarner: with my most recent patch the part that's
intended to be consumed as a library (the thrift api) is available as a separate jar
[Mon Dec  1 19:16:44 2014] <kts>: for the scheduler i'd want to publish that on maven
central and an app bundle on our website
[Mon Dec  1 19:17:00 2014] <wfarner>: gotcha
[Mon Dec  1 19:17:21 2014] <kts>: for the python-side we can publish everything, so
that people can do "pip install apache.aurora.client"
[Mon Dec  1 19:17:43 2014] <derfloh_>: yay!
[Mon Dec  1 19:18:06 2014] <kts>: distribution-specific packages will go even further
(as you won't have to think about wiring up systemd/upstart/monit) but I think we can let
the community own those
[Mon Dec  1 19:18:19 2014] <kts>: er, each distribution's community
[Mon Dec  1 19:18:33 2014] <kts>: we might commit to owning ones of those that we can
test
[Mon Dec  1 19:18:46 2014] <wfarner>: sounds like we have people equipped to do this,
but perhaps time is the constraint?  is anyone willing to own AURORA-282?
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:05 2014] <kts>: I think it should be decomposed
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:11 2014] <kts>: im happy to own the publishing variant
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:25 2014] <kts>: (the non distro-specific parts)
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:26 2014] <benley>: I'd be willing to own the deb packaging portion
of that.
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:37 2014] <wfarner>: kts: can you take on the ticket, if only to break
it apart?
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:56 2014] <zmanji>: I think breaking it apart would be a suitable next
step.
[Mon Dec  1 19:19:58 2014] <kts>: got it, benley would you like to file a debian-specific
ticket?
[Mon Dec  1 19:20:05 2014] <benley>: Sure thing.
[Mon Dec  1 19:20:14 2014] <kts>: awesome
[Mon Dec  1 19:20:44 2014] <wfarner>: any other topics?
[Mon Dec  1 19:21:16 2014] <wfarner>: thanks, folks!
[Mon Dec  1 19:21:19 2014] <wfarner>: ASFBot: meeting stop


Meeting ended at Mon Dec  1 19:21:19 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message