aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Chu-Carroll <mchucarr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Error handling in the aurora client
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:10:24 GMT
Can someone explain to me why providing an option to show the stack trace
is such a problem?

Making our debugging easier shouldn't be an excuse for sloppy tooling.
Dumping stacks at users because we didn't get our debugging right shouldn't
be acceptable.

The specific error here, where we've got a user writing python code in a
config file is a special case: we're invoking a python interpretation
process for the user, and if that crashes, they expect what they'd get by
running the python code manually. But in other places, allowing people to
request extra information as an option seems like a reasonable compromise.

    -Mark