aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Bhuvan Arumugam <bhu...@apache.org>
Subject Authentication for thermos webui
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:32:53 GMT
Hello,
We are implementing cookie based authentication for thermos webui
(port: 1338). It is a single sign-on implementation. The
unauthenticated users will be redirected to a login service. After
user is successfully authenticated in the login service, a cookie will
be added in this domain. The cookie is validated against the login
service, before the page is rendered.

I wish to get input on the design we are planning to implement, for
thermos webui. Ideally, we want to grant access to thermos webui only
for authenticated users.

Thermos use twitter.common.http library to render the UI, which use
bottle web framework and server. The html pages are generated using
bottle templates.

We could implement authentication in 2 ways.

1. The authentication can be implemented as a bottle plugin, within
thermos code base. The plugin can be installed for each route defined
for different web pages. This way, we could avoid making changes
directly to twitter.common.http library. We should install this plugin
for newer routes/pages added in future.
2. The authentication can be implemented as a bottle plugin, within
twitter.common.http library. The plugin can be installed, per
application. When it's installed at application level, it is applied
to all routes automatically. It will be applicable for newer
routes/pages added in future.

I'm inclined to go with #1, primarily for single reason: We don't want
to fork twitter.common.http library. If we fork, we should come up
with a way to integrate it with pants build system, and override this
library every time we package thermos. We already forked
incubator-aurora for making different changes, and planning to track
authentication changes alongside.

Is there a better approach to implement authentication?

Thank you,
--
Regards,
Bhuvan Arumugam