aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Farner <wfar...@apache.org>
Subject Distributing the scheduler as a war
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2014 02:55:45 GMT
Hi all,

Does anybody have an opinion on whether it's worth the effort to simplify
the distribution story for aurora with a war [1]?

We currently advise distributing aurora as an application bundle (generated
with gradle distTar or distZip).  This produces an archive containing our
jar, libraries, and a shim script to set up the classpath and invoke java.

Jenkins is one example of [2] for a different approach, where the war
format is used along with embedded jetty to support direct invocation (java
-jar myapp.war).  While unzipping/untarring is not a huge hassle, it is
nice that it's not needed.  For our case, my only sentiment is that we
shouldn't produce wars if we don't intend them to be installed on an
application server (which we could do, but it requires more work).

Any thoughts?  Are there gotchas i'm not thinking about here?  Is this such
a small gain that we shouldn't bother?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAR_(Sun_file_format)
[2] https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Meet+Jenkins

-=Bill