aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Chu-Carroll <mchucarr...@apache.org>
Subject Python versions (redux)
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:46:14 GMT
A couple of months ago, we had a discussion about which python versions to
support. (See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-aurora-dev/201404.mbox/%3CCAFGkSCk71%2BziUQCsnMfStr-ucrT52DLEgBfHA-o097683PstLQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
to refresh your memory.)

At the time, we punted on it, because we had a convenient workaround. But
python version issues have continued to pop up from time to time. In
particular, we've had issues like the current
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-585.

The question that I'd like to put forward is: how much effort is it work to
continue to support Python 2.6? The Python maintainers are no longer
maintaining 2.6 - the download page for the last release of 2.6 says:
 "With the 2.6.9 release, and five years after its first release, the
Python 2.6 series is now officially retired. All official maintenance for
Python 2.6, including security patches, has ended. For ongoing maintenance
releases, please see the Python 2.7 series. The NEWS file lists every
change in each alpha, beta, release candidate, and final release of Python
2.6."

We certainly *can* continue to support Python2.6, but it's likely to be a
non-trivial effort. Is it worth it?

(Full disclosure, in case it's not obvious: I think as a provider of a
distributed computing platform, continuing to support a python interpreter
that won't even get security fixes is not a good idea. I'm in favor of
dropping 2.6.)

     -Mark