aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aurora 0.5.0 (incubating) RC0
Date Tue, 06 May 2014 22:24:55 GMT
Thanks for the review Justin, hopefully the team could help answer
your concerns about the RC

- Henry

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As an IPMC/previous shepherd thought I give my feedback.
>
> Signatures and hashes all good
> DISCLAIMER correct
> Filename contains "incubating"
> NOTICE and LICENCE good (checked all 3rd party bit of code and they all seem to be there)
> Not all files have correct headers - may or may not be OK
> There's a few binaries in the release
> Can compile from source
> Test pass
>
> From a quick look there are python, CSS, JS, JSON and HMTL template (tpl) files that
are misisng headers. Some are 3rd party so may not be an issue but the ones in src/main/resources/org/apache/aurora/scheduler
may be? Given the large number of files (207) it's a little hard to easily review this. Has
rat been run on the release?

> Binary files in release - some of these may be OK
> /3rdparty/javascript/bower_components/angular/angular.min.js.gzip
> /gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
> /src/test/resources/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/app/AuroraTestKeyStore
> /src/resources/org/apache/thermos/root/checkpoints/failure/coordinator.*
>
> Re the gradle wrapper I was able to use gradle to compile without it so it may not actually
be required in the source release?

> As it was not mentioned directly in the README etc I was unaware that you should use
gradlew command instead. I saw later that it is mentioned in docs/developing-aurora-scheduler.md.

> A few (very) minor things:
> - Release file doesn't have apache in it's name, while not required it may give extra
legal protection [1]
> - KEYS are usually outside release package
> - Not sure if this is possible, as i'm not familiar with gradle,  but you may want to
consider a source and binary release with the binary having the gradle jar?
> - BUILD is usually named BUILDING or the build information put in README.
> - I notice the .asc file has .md5 and .sha hashes of it in the RC directory. There are
probably not required.

> I'm sure you know your own project better that me, so if I've mentioned something that
already been discussed or I've misunderstood something I apologise in advance. The fact I
was able to take the source package and compile it will minimal effort certainly indicates
to me that it's release ready.