aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sweeney <kevi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aurora 0.5.0 (incubating) RC0
Date Tue, 06 May 2014 23:10:21 GMT
Hi Justin,

Thanks for your feedback - I've replied inline below.

Filed  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-394

> Binary files in release - some of these may be OK
> /3rdparty/javascript/bower_components/angular/angular.min.js.gzip
> /gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
> /src/test/resources/org/apache/aurora/scheduler/app/AuroraTestKeyStore
> /src/resources/org/apache/thermos/root/checkpoints/failure/coordinator.*
>
> Every Bower component is essentially a vendored JavaScript library checked
in. It's pretty much equivalent to a pristine upstream jar. We do have a
ticket (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-353) to move from
having them checked in to pulled in as part of the build; however our build
is already relatively complex (code in Java, Python, and JavaScript, with
Thrift, JNI and Python native module dependencies adding a C++ component as
well) and I do want to try my best to ensure the project is buildable.

> Re the gradle wrapper I was able to use gradle to compile without it so it
> may not actually be required in the source release?

The generated gradle wrapper script (and associated jar) eliminates the
need to have multiple versions of gradle installed and allows the project
to explicitly specify its dependency on a particular gradle version. While
I'm certain the buildscript may work with different versions of Gradle, to
me that's just another variable that threatens build reproducibility.
Further, gradle documentation states "The Gradle Wrapper (henceforth
referred to as the 'wrapper') is the preferred way of starting a Gradle
build. The wrapper is a batch script on Windows, and a shell script for
other operating systems. When you start a Gradle build via the wrapper,
Gradle will be automatically downloaded and used to run the build."

> As it was not mentioned directly in the README etc I was unaware that you
> should use gradlew command instead. I saw later that it is mentioned in
> docs/developing-aurora-scheduler.md.

Good point, the top-level README is currently very sparse. I'm working on
improving it now.

Good idea, created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-392

> - KEYS are usually outside release package

KEYS are available both inside and outside the release package. Do you
suggest removing them from the source distribution?

> - Not sure if this is possible, as i'm not familiar with gradle,  but you
> may want to consider a source and binary release with the binary having the
> gradle jar?

This is a difficult question since there are several different components
in play here. Our build system is capable of producing useful binary
packages, as well as source packages in much more useful form (Python
sdists and Java source JARs). However in the interest of more quickly
producing a release candidate the community can use we haven't produced
those artifacts, though we can in the future.

> - BUILD is usually named BUILDING or the build information put in README.

These are actually BUILD configuration files for pants (
http://pantsbuild.github.io/build_files.html).

Filed  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-393

> I'm sure you know your own project better that me, so if I've mentioned
> something that already been discussed or I've misunderstood something I
> apologise in advance. The fact I was able to take the source package and
> compile it will minimal effort certainly indicates to me that it's release
> ready.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to have a look! We really appreciate the
feedback.

Best regards,
Kevin

--