aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Buffington ...@jaybuff.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Use $(git describe) output to bake version instead of .auroraversion
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 20:25:21 GMT
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Bill Farner <wfarner@apache.org> wrote:

> Plucking from the man page:
>
> NAME
>        git-describe - Show the most recent tag that is reachable from a
> commit
>
> Does this proposal fall apart if/when we start using tags for other
> purposes?

Not as long as you use annotated tags only for releases and lightweight
tags for everything else.

>From the git-tag man page:

       Tag objects (created with -a, s, or -u) are called "annotated" tags;
they contain a creation
       date, the tagger name and e-mail, a tagging message, and an optional
GnuPG signature.
       Whereas a "lightweight" tag is simply a name for an object (usually
a commit object).

       Annotated tags are meant for release while lightweight tags are
meant for private or
       temporary object labels. For this reason, some git commands for
naming objects (like git
       describe) will ignore lightweight tags by default.