aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Jake Farrell <jfarr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Tagging development releases
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 22:31:38 GMT
As long as we are not emailing out to any other lists or distributing the
tagged versions then this is not an issue as the tags are not considered
releases, they are test packages [1]. Since these are test packages they
can have any version number they want.

Since this is a Twitter specific we should work to get this changed before
the first release. I would say we have a discussion when we are getting
ready for the first release candidate and we decide on the projects
starting version number and remove all the existing tags at that point.

An example of tagging in use from other TLP projects all only tag release
candidates and then the official releases [ Cloudstack, Cassandra, Couchdb,
Maven, Thrift, Mesos ]. PEP-440 [2], DVCS based version labels states that
".devN suffix may be used to uniquely identify such releases for
publication", since these are test packages [1] from trunk and are not
releases or release candidates which will be published I would propose we
use the following format:

Builds from trunk (no git tag needed):  aurora-0.x.x-incubating-dev-{git
short sha}

For the release candidate (tag created):  aurora-0.x.x-incubating-rc#

For the release (tag created):  aurora-0.x.x-incubating

-Jake

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
[2]: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#id22