aurora-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Sweeney <kevi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Tagging development releases
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:34:23 GMT
(Repost from my apache address since reply #1 likely got sent to spam)

+1. I think it's useful to be able to mark development snapshots that can
be understood by package managers as distinct incrementing versions for
pre-RC integration testing/performance testing/early adopter deployment.
Creating a dev tag is not a statement of any particular fitness for
release, just a tool used by a committer to do some integration testing. In
some sense it's just a mapping from a git sha to an incrementing number
understandable by package managers that leads to reproducible builds. In
this proposed scheme the contents of .auroraversion look like this:

0.4.0-snapshot             # The master branch always has a -snapshot suffix

|\....0.4.0-dev2014012101  # First dev snapshot of a day created to do some
integration testing

|\....0.4.0-dev2014012102  # Second dev snapshot of the day (unlikely but
sometimes necessary)

|\....0.4.0-rc1            # A release candidate, announced to the list for
a VOTE (artifacts published to the mirrors)

|\....0.4.0                # The official VOTEd 0.4.0 release (artifacts
published to the mirrors)

0.5.0-snapshot

This model allows for reproducible builds. For example if I have a
development snapshot tag I can recreate all its artifacts:
git fetch --tags
git checkout 0.4.0-dev2014012101
# ./gradlew distTar or ./pants py or ./pants setup_py ...

And the same is true for releases:
git fetch --tags
git checkout 0.4.0
# ./gradlew distTar or ./pants py or ./pants setup_py ...

Another benefit is that all tags are terminal and can be removed after some
period of time (say 3 months for development snapshots).
They also won't pollute the development history (git log on master or from
a release tag won't show them).