attic-general mailing list archives

From Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org>
Subject Discussion to select chair candidates followed by a vote starting may 13 2018.
Date Tue, 01 May 2018 20:46:41 GMT
Hi

I am truly sorry having to write this email. I am embarrassed of not being able to keep my
promise and stay as a long-term chair, but sometimes you have to ask yourself is it worth
the time spent and instead use time where it is makes a difference.

Considering we have a very silent community and the current site maintenance was unacceptable
to me, I spent a couple of days to make my life easier and asked for opinions from the community
before changing the production site, after that our list drowned in emails from 2 pmc members
pursuing other solutions.

This is not the first time we have a situation like this, a while ago we had long discussion
with -1 flowing around, between the same 2 PMC members about rewriting rules etc, where finally
(I believe partly due to my intervention) consensus was reached.

I volunteered to be chair and was clear it meant I had not only to file board reports but
also do the bulk part of retiring projects. I did not volunteer to spend endless hours trying
to get consensus or to get simple changes agreed on.

I proposed a very simple solution, but have accepted that the other 2 solutions each have
advantages, so I might have continued had I believed in the possibility of consensus and an,
for me, easy to maintain solution. There are no signs of convergence and a vote on technical
solutions are bad, apart from the fact that I am convinced both solutions would receive a
-1. Changes are high, that the current deadlock will end with no change at all.

I humbly accept my failure to help bring consensus and progress to the attic, so I hereby
announce my retirement as chair/pmc/committer.

I am hereby starting a discussion on who should be the next chair. The discussion will run
until 13 may 2018, where I will start the formal vote. The result of the vote will be added
to the agenda for the board June meeting. In case we have no positive result of the vote,
the board will be asked to appoint a new chair.

The 2 PMC members have each promised to support a future site, so it is natural for me to
 propose Henkp and Sebb as chair candidates, both have used significant time to implement
technical elegant solutions.

Ball is rolling, let the community decide.

rgds
Jan I

Sent from my iPad