attic-general mailing list archives

From Jan Iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Discussion to select chair candidates followed by a vote starting may 13 2018.
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 10:08:02 GMT

> On 2 May 2018, at 11:49, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2 May 2018 at 10:33, Jan Iversen <jancasacondor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2 May 2018, at 11:09, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Top-posting.
>>>
>>> Surely any discussion which relates to personnel should take place on
>>> the private@ list?
>>
>> Surely not, a discussion/vote for a new chair is something that involves the whole
community and not only the PMC.

> AFAIK discussion on new chairs are held on private@
> Whilst the decision may affect the community, AFAIK a chair must be a
> member of the PMC (or an ASF member)

There are no rules saying that such a discussion has to be private@, and in all the projects
where I have been involved (some of them as chair) the discussions and votes were public.
I am aware that only votes from PMC members count, but hearing opinions from everybody cannot
do any harm.

I you recall, when I offered to be chair, I was not even committer, but that was seen as a
formality and I share that view.

Look at the board reports, we present:
## PMC changes:
- Jan Iversen was added to the PMC on Wed Mar 15 2017
## Committer base changes:
- Last committer addition was Jan Iversen at Thu Mar 16 <x-apple-data-detectors://1>
2017

That just goes to show, being practical sometimes are the better way.

>> It is correct questions relating to specific persons are kept in private, typical
examples are discussions about inviting a committer or more rarely a discussion about the
behaviour of a committer. Neither of these are the case here, if you read private@ I made
my intentions clear a while ago, and are now putting my intentions into effect.

> Agreed.
>
>> If you refer to my description of the reasons, I have kept strictly to public fact,
and not expressed my personal opinion. If you feel I overstepped the line somewhere in my
mail and revealed not already public information, please be specific.

> I am not saying that you have.
>
>> You cannot deny me the right to give reasons why I am leaving this project. Actually
your email just confirms my decision.

> That is not what I am saying at all.
> Sorry that you have got that impression.
>
> However I think it would be wrong to discuss a new chair on a public list.
> That's all I am saying.

You may of course think as you wish, but being the one who is retiring, I believe it was my
decision where to post the information. If you want to make statements/discussions in private@
it is not a problem.

I am sure you have a reason for keeping this on private@, maybe you should explain that on
private@. As for me, I have nothing to hide, and prefer to involve the whole community and
have a public record.

rgds
Jan I

>> rgds
>> Jan I.

able to keep my promise and stay as a long-term chair, but sometimes you have to ask yourself
is it worth the time spent and instead use time where it is makes a difference.

was unacceptable to me, I spent a couple of days to make my life easier and asked for opinions
from the community before changing the production site, after that our list drowned in emails
from 2 pmc members pursuing other solutions.

had long discussion with -1 flowing around, between the same 2 PMC members about rewriting
rules etc, where finally (I believe partly due to my intervention) consensus was reached.

reports but also do the bulk part of retiring projects. I did not volunteer to spend endless
hours trying to get consensus or to get simple changes agreed on.

each have advantages, so I might have continued had I believed in the possibility of consensus
and an, for me, easy to maintain solution. There are no signs of convergence and a vote on
technical solutions are bad, apart from the fact that I am convinced both solutions would
receive a -1. Changes are high, that the current deadlock will end with no change at all.

so I hereby announce my retirement as chair/pmc/committer.

will run until 13 may 2018, where I will start the formal vote. The result of the vote will
be added to the agenda for the board June meeting. In case we have no positive result of the
vote, the board will be asked to appoint a new chair.

for me to  propose Henkp and Sebb as chair candidates, both have used significant time to
implement technical elegant solutions.