attic-general mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject idea for site maintenance simplification
Date Sat, 05 May 2018 04:25:44 GMT
Hi,

I took time to read the whole discussions from april and understand what was
the common objective, and what were solutions envisioned and discussed and
partly done and partly with consensus yet to be found.

AFAIK, we have a common objective: simplifying attic site maintenance.

The simplification ideas and solutions are:
- retired site update:
banners solution in place with initial site http://oltu.apache.org/
IIUC, there are still some improvements that could eventually be done (for .eu
and .us urls), but it works quite well.
This idea is the most critical, since it was really a pain for each new
project move to Attic

- have fewer files to edit:
how many files precisely to edit now?
evaluation has been that this require changing templating solution (too hard
or no knowledge to add such feature to current Ant/Anakia build), and format
of data
this is where we have 2 competing solutions.. we'll discuss this later

- avoiding build tools use on editor's computer:
buildbot job added that builds and publish when source is updated.
Manual local build and commit can still be done
AFAIK, this solution works well

- web browser only edit:
Idea on this would be to use GitHub online editing: given ASF has GitBox
service in place, and with previous automated build and publish on source
update, this seems feasible.

This Git/GitBox/GitHub solution could bring us other advantages: branches
management and PR review would ease tests and discussion before deciding to
merge to trunk/master

IMHO, working on GitBox/GitHub solution would ease future work and discussion
on the "have fewer files to edit" ideas.
And I know that it is feasible without changing many things on the current
situation.

WDYT about prioritizing this Git/GitBox/GitHub solution?

Regards,

Hervé