attic-general mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Proposal to fix oltu.[.us|.eu].apache.org banner prefixing
Date Sat, 05 May 2018 15:15:09 GMT
Honestly, who knows or uses the .us and .eu DNS names?
the requirement seems quite theoretical to me: is not worth making site
maintenance harder

but I had a little idea on the flag file creation that could do the job, while
even simplifying site maintenance = what it is more about

since what we need is just to create flag file, why not code the creation
basically in build.sh, in basic shell

with a basic convention like adding XML comments in projects/*.xml:
<!--
retired flag: oltu
-->

build.sh could basically do:

for retired in `grep 'retired flag:' xdocs/projects/*.xml | awk '{ print $3 }'`
do
  for d in $retired $retired.us $retired.eu
  do
    mkdir docs/flagged/$d.apache.org
    touch docs/flagged/$d.apache.org/$d.apache.org
  done
done

I know, I know, that's not very elegant...

But it would ease maintenance just now, isn't it? and as a side effect, treat
the .us and .eu DNS names...
(and nobody will cry when reimplementing the feature with a new build tool)

Regards,

Hervé