attic-general mailing list archives

From Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussion to select chair candidates followed by a vote starting may 13 2018.
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 06:22:58 GMT

Sent from my iPad

> On 2 May 2018, at 07:43, Henk P. Penning <penning@uu.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 May 2018, Jan Iversen wrote:
>>
>> Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 22:46:41 +0200
>> From: Jan Iversen <jani@apache.org>
>> To: general@attic.apache.org
>> Subject: Discussion to select chair candidates followed by a vote starting may
>>     13 2018.
>
> Hi Jan,
>
>  I thought the plan was to reach consensus, and otherwise vote.
yes it was, but I still have the (to me) ugly -1 discussion on your rewrite rules in mind.

Having said that, I am seriously tired of trying to get us to discuss before implementing
and accept this is not a matter of making the technical most elegant solution but making something
the chair (historically) or somebody else can and will maintain.

>  Let me try to reach consensus this way :
>
>    Hi Sebb,
>
>      Can we agree to just let Jan pick a winner ?
>      and for us to forever hold our peace (regarding the choice)?
I am sorry but I believe it would not be the apache way for me to pick a winner (even though
it is tempting, I think it is known that I am afraid of the template language in the jekyll-site)

My hope was to get you two to agree on perfecting 1 solution addressing each others concerns.

>      This is a bike-shed problem ;
>      any simple solution is ok.
>
>  [ Forgive my ignorance if this is against etiquette.
>    How does a PMC resolve bike-shed problems ?
>  ]
just like you just did, talking to each other. This is actually a point where the apache way
have caused projects to splinter, due to people being stubborn instead of flexible.

rgds
jan i

>  Regards,
>
>  Henk Penning
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------   _
> Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
> Faculty of Science, Utrecht University    T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
> http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am truly sorry having to write this email. I am embarrassed of not being able to
keep my promise and stay as a long-term chair, but sometimes you have to ask yourself is it
worth the time spent and instead use time where it is makes a difference.

>> Considering we have a very silent community and the current site maintenance was
unacceptable to me, I spent a couple of days to make my life easier and asked for opinions
from the community before changing the production site, after that our list drowned in emails
from 2 pmc members pursuing other solutions.

>> This is not the first time we have a situation like this, a while ago we had long
discussion with -1 flowing around, between the same 2 PMC members about rewriting rules etc,
where finally (I believe partly due to my intervention) consensus was reached.

>> I volunteered to be chair and was clear it meant I had not only to file board reports
but also do the bulk part of retiring projects. I did not volunteer to spend endless hours
trying to get consensus or to get simple changes agreed on.

>> I proposed a very simple solution, but have accepted that the other 2 solutions each
have advantages, so I might have continued had I believed in the possibility of consensus
and an, for me, easy to maintain solution. There are no signs of convergence and a vote on
technical solutions are bad, apart from the fact that I am convinced both solutions would
receive a -1. Changes are high, that the current deadlock will end with no change at all.

>> I humbly accept my failure to help bring consensus and progress to the attic, so
I hereby announce my retirement as chair/pmc/committer.

>> I am hereby starting a discussion on who should be the next chair. The discussion
will run until 13 may 2018, where I will start the formal vote. The result of the vote will
be added to the agenda for the board June meeting. In case we have no positive result of the
vote, the board will be asked to appoint a new chair.

>> The 2 PMC members have each promised to support a future site, so it is natural for
me to  propose Henkp and Sebb as chair candidates, both have used significant time to implement
technical elegant solutions.