attic-general mailing list archives

From Jan Iversen <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new PMC for xmlbeans
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2018 14:17:54 GMT

Sent from my iPad

> On 2 Mar 2018, at 14:59, PJ Fanning <fanningpj@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Apache POI is used by Apache Tika and Apache SOLR.
> The XmlBeans build is pretty complicated and outdated and changing its package names
is going to be fairly hard (in short, XmlBeans is used to autogenerate some of the code shipped
in XmlBeans).
The question was not who uses POI, but who would also (if any) use XmlBeans.

The beauty of my proposal is that you do not need to change naming or other stuff. You simply
put it in your codebase in a separate directory. The reason is that you do not release XmlBeans,
you release POI containing (not using, as you have been doing) XmlBeans.

In case you want to restart the project, you need to change name as well as go through the
process of asking to be a TLP.

rgds
jan i

>    On Monday 26 February 2018, 20:07:49 GMT, PJ Fanning <fanningpj@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor community in
forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on XMLBeans and there are some
fixes that we would like to apply to XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Getting-a-fixed-version-of-XMLBeans-td5729378.htmlhttp://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/XMLBeans-in-4-0-0-release-td5729862.html
>

> If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be feasible to reopen
the XMLBeans svn for new commits?