attic-general mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Redirects for attic project download directories
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:09:28 GMT
On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, sebb wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 22:22:12 +0100
> From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
> To: general@attic.apache.org
> Subject: Redirects for attic project download directories
>
> The original thread got derailed, so here is what I think the issue is.
>
> When a project is moved to the attic, its website is updated to show a
> banner that the project has been retired, with a link to the attic.
>
> Also, its release files on www.apache.org/dist are removed, and
> replaced with an .htaccess redirect to an Attic page with summary
> details of the project.
>
> e.g.
> http://www.apache.org/dist/harmony
> redirects to
> http://attic.apache.org/projects/harmony.html
>
> Whilst this redirect works, and is simple to administer, it means
> there are many directories under www.apache.org/dist/ which only
> contain an .htaccess file, and scripts may have to be aware of which
> directories correspond to active projects.
>
> It would be useful to be able to tidy this up.

   FYI ; this now works.

   The config of www.apache.org redirects

     www.apache.org/dist/GHOST => attic.apache.org/projects/GHOST.html

   ... if the latter exists. See :

     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/etch/

   This dir has no '.htaccess' file ; note the leading '.' ;
   infra moved .htaccess => htaccess as a final test.
   Try : https://www.apache.org/dist/etch

   I think it is now safe to remove all /dist/GHOST/ directories.

   Groeten,

   HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/