attic-general mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <penn...@uu.nl>
Subject Re: Redirects for attic project download directories
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:59:22 GMT
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, sebb wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 11:37:12 +0100
> From: sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>
> To: general@attic.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Redirects for attic project download directories
>
> On 20 February 2018 at 09:21, Henk P. Penning <penning@uu.nl> wrote:

>>   We would map it into attic-space if we could do it elegantly.
>
> This still preserves the URL as far as the public are concerned.
> Which is my point: we preserve ghost.a.o,

   Of course, but I hope we can add the "retired" top-of-page
   stuff without touching the content of ghost.a.o.

>                                           and at present we preserve
> www.a.o/dist/ghost as a redirect.

   Of course ; but that is fixable with 3 or 4 rewrite rules
   in the config of www.apache.org/dist/ ; that is, without
   the www.a.o/dist/ghost directories.

   These rules will work for GHOST ; as soon as there is
   a "attic.a.o/projects/GHOST.html" page, www.a.o will
   redirect to it.
   [ on the webserver, the page is in file
     /x1/www/attic.apache.org/projects/GHOST.html"
   ]

   So, there is no need for dist/attic/GHOST ;
   after attic.a.o/projects/GHOST.html is created,
   infra can simply svn rm dist/release/GHOST ;
   I believe that is the usual work-flow.
   correct me if I'm wrong :-).

> I think that is worth keeping.

   Of course.

>>   Fixing website GHOST.apache.org is a hassle.
>>   It would be nice if we could present it "as is",
>>   prefixed with the necessary "RETIRED" head.
>
> That's a subject for a separate thread.

   Agree :-)
   Ideas (or working examples) welcome ;
   think "mod_proxy", "mod_sed" etc.

   Groeten,

   HPP

Henk P. Penning, ICT-beta                 R Uithof MG-403    _/ \_
Leuvenlaan 4, 3584CE Utrecht, NL          F +31 30 253 4553 \_/ \_/
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~penni101/ M penning@uu.nl     \_/