attic-general mailing list archives

From j...@apache.org
Subject Re: new PMC for xmlbeans
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2018 12:09:18 GMT
Hi

> On 26 Feb 2018, at 21:07, PJ Fanning <fanningpj@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hi,There is general interest in the Apache POI PMC and general Contributor community
in forming a new PMC for Apache XMLBeans. POI has a dependency on XMLBeans and there are some
fixes that we would like to apply to XMLBeans.Some of the discussion appears in these threads.
> http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/publishing-poi-xmlbeans-jars-td5730234.html
> POI - Dev - [DISCUSS] Getting a fixed version of XMLBeans
> POI - Dev - XMLBeans in 4.0.0 release
> If we can get 3 or more people to form a new XMLBeans PMC, would it be feasible to reopen
the XMLBeans svn for new commits?

As far as I have understood (others with more knowledge, might want to confirm or correct
me), a project cannot “just” be activated again.

What you can do easily is one of two possibilities:
- Clone the project to a new project, which then have its own life. If you want to do this
within ASF, you need to follow the rules for creating a new TLP.
- Copy the project into POI (keep it as a separate directory etc). This can be done without
any paperwork at all, you just need to put a short text in the release notes of POI. The advantage
here is you can change whatever you want, the disadvantage (if that is a disadvantage) is
that you cannot make a XMLBeans release.

I recommend simply copy the source files into POI.

rgds
Jan I.