attic-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Give access to all members
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:01:40 GMT
On 16 August 2012 16:53, Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 02:42:30AM -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
>> Per the thread with Sebb and I, I'd like to propose that we open up
>> svn access to the Attic site to all members.
>>
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] -1 (with reason)
>>
> I'm in two minds about this - it's tempting to open up the floodgates to
> make retiring a project easier... but by opening up, we're also making
> it easier to change the projects that have been retired and that's
> always been the thing we were trying to discourage. I think a better
> solution might be to be much quicker to add anyone who asks from a retiring
> project while the move is going on.
> Anyways, I'll pass on voting - I don't see the problem this is supposed
> to solve, but it's still version control, so rollbacks are not impossible.

The original problem I raised was allowing individual users to update
the Attic website to fix problems.

I suggested enabling the attic Unix group for this - rather than
attic-pmc as at present - but this was not universally liked.

There is less overhead voting in a committer compared with a PMC member.

But a one-off vote to allow @members adds a lot of potential
committers without need for further individual votes.