attic-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Hivemind fork
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:17:24 GMT

On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Johan Lindquist
> <johan@kawoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Notice file would be left intact - there are copyrights as part of
>> the
>> headers in the files - would these remain or can they safely be
>> removed/changed in the derived work?
>
> They can't be removed, except by the copyright holder.
>
> However - it's not normal Apache practice to keep them in there. There
> was a move to update src headers a few years back and it looks like it
> missed HiveMind.
>
> I'll update the files in hivemind2/trunk [I'm assuming you're taking
> things from trunk and that the desired version is hivemind2].
>
> Let me know otherwise [I'll aim to do it tomorrow night so you've time
> to point me in the right direction].
>
> Attic PMC - feel free to -1 if you think this is bad. It's the
> application of a standard Apache style, so I think it's harmless
> enough and will simplify things for the fork.

I agree with Mads and Henning that the attic is *not* the place for
this kind of cleanup. Copyright notices and licenses should be removed
only by the copyright holders (in conjunction with updating the NOTICE
if appropriate).

So I'm -1 on changing the copyright notices on attic artifacts.

Craig

> Hen

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com