atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Wallis <graham_wal...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Instructions to build & run Atlas in dev environment
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 10:01:14 GMT
Hi Sarath

The mods to my local webapp/pom change periodically but currently are as
follows (I hope this transmits OK; I pasted it straight from IJ and it
includes formatting):

<profile>
    <!-- default profile is for external HBase and Solr - hence not
packaging those jars -->
    <id>dist</id>
    <activation>
        <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>
    </activation>
    <properties>

<!--<packages.to.exclude>WEB-INF/lib/titan-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/elasticsearch-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/lucene-*.jar</packages.to.exclude>-->
        <packages.to.exclude
>WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/elasticsearch-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/lucene-*.jar</
packages.to.exclude>
    </properties>
</profile>

The above change was to keep the titan jars when I was trying to run with
Ashutosh's bring-up method that uses Titan 0.5.4. For some of the other
testing I've been doing I have been removing the exclude of (i.e. keeping)
the Berkeley, ES and Lucene jars, if either BDB and/or ES was in the
backend combination.
An alternative which I have used at times is to rename the 'dist' profile
(to any redundant name - e.g. 'not_used') to avoid it being involved in
the build of webapp - you obviously must have 'dist' for packaging. In my
most recent test (yesterday, when I got the server to start with Janus
0.2.0) it was renamed and hence was not used.

<profile>
    <id>berkeley-elasticsearch</id>
    <activation>
        <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>
    </activation>
    <!--<properties>
        <packages.to.exclude>WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar</packages.to.exclude>
    </properties>-->
</profile>

The berkeley-elasticsearch profile was excluding BDB due to the Titan
shading, but as you said in ATLAS-2287, since we no longer shade Janus we
must keep the BDB jars - for a BDB build.

I have not submitted a patch with these changes because in my opinion they
might need to be part of a more general overhaul of the profiles - which
was why I raised ATLAS-2270, so we could find out what combinations of
graphdb, persistent store and indexer people really need; then we could
align the POMs neatly with the desired combinations. The intended result
would be to have something that looks and feels like the current
graph-provider selection, and with the ability to build any desired
combination for packaging and/or UT-IT (which is not currently always
possible). Unfortunately ATLAS-2270 seemed to cause a bit of controversy
and pushback, but it seems to be starting to take shape following Pierre's
contributions. I have been comparing the evolution of the ATLAS-2270
discussion with my build results across all combinations of { titan0 |
janus } x { elastic | solr } x { bdb | hbase-embedded }; the hope being
that it should be possible to arrive at a minimal but sufficient set of
profiles that keep everyone happy, support all build phases and do not
overlap/interfere with one another.

Best regards,
  Graham

Graham Wallis
IBM Analytics Emerging Technology Center
Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
Tel: +44-1962-815356    Tie: 7-245356