atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Madhan Neethiraj <mad...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Instructions to build & run Atlas in dev environment
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 18:25:58 GMT
Graham, David,

Can you please review Sarath’s patch to resolve this issue https://reviews.apache.org/r/64141/,
and give your feedback?

Thanks,
Madhan

On 11/29/17, 2:01 AM, "Graham Wallis" <graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

    Hi Sarath

    The mods to my local webapp/pom change periodically but currently are as
    follows (I hope this transmits OK; I pasted it straight from IJ and it
    includes formatting):

    <profile>
        <!-- default profile is for external HBase and Solr - hence not
    packaging those jars -->
        <id>dist</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <properties>

    <!--<packages.to.exclude>WEB-INF/lib/titan-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/elasticsearch-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/lucene-*.jar</packages.to.exclude>-->
            <packages.to.exclude
    >WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/elasticsearch-*.jar,WEB-INF/lib/lucene-*.jar</
    packages.to.exclude>
        </properties>
    </profile>

    The above change was to keep the titan jars when I was trying to run with
    Ashutosh's bring-up method that uses Titan 0.5.4. For some of the other
    testing I've been doing I have been removing the exclude of (i.e. keeping)
    the Berkeley, ES and Lucene jars, if either BDB and/or ES was in the
    backend combination.
    An alternative which I have used at times is to rename the 'dist' profile
    (to any redundant name - e.g. 'not_used') to avoid it being involved in
    the build of webapp - you obviously must have 'dist' for packaging. In my
    most recent test (yesterday, when I got the server to start with Janus
    0.2.0) it was renamed and hence was not used.

    <profile>
        <id>berkeley-elasticsearch</id>
        <activation>
            <activeByDefault>false</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <!--<properties>
            <packages.to.exclude>WEB-INF/lib/je-*.jar</packages.to.exclude>
        </properties>-->
    </profile>

    The berkeley-elasticsearch profile was excluding BDB due to the Titan
    shading, but as you said in ATLAS-2287, since we no longer shade Janus we
    must keep the BDB jars - for a BDB build.

    I have not submitted a patch with these changes because in my opinion they
    might need to be part of a more general overhaul of the profiles - which
    was why I raised ATLAS-2270, so we could find out what combinations of
    graphdb, persistent store and indexer people really need; then we could
    align the POMs neatly with the desired combinations. The intended result
    would be to have something that looks and feels like the current
    graph-provider selection, and with the ability to build any desired
    combination for packaging and/or UT-IT (which is not currently always
    possible). Unfortunately ATLAS-2270 seemed to cause a bit of controversy
    and pushback, but it seems to be starting to take shape following Pierre's
    contributions. I have been comparing the evolution of the ATLAS-2270
    discussion with my build results across all combinations of { titan0 |
    janus } x { elastic | solr } x { bdb | hbase-embedded }; the hope being
    that it should be possible to arrive at a minimal but sufficient set of
    profiles that keep everyone happy, support all build phases and do not
    overlap/interfere with one another.

    Best regards,
      Graham

    Graham Wallis
    IBM Analytics Emerging Technology Center
    Internet: graham_wallis@uk.ibm.com
    IBM Laboratories, Hursley Park, Hursley, Hampshire SO21 2JN
    Tel: +44-1962-815356    Tie: 7-245356