atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel L Jones <jon...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Maven restructure
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:46:58 GMT
I also wanted to bring up the question of how we work with java8 when, for
example, we're building an Atlas stack including Janus. Whilst that code
requires Java 8 (is that for build, runtime or both?) in order to avoid
accidentally breaking the other code for java 7 do we use the "-source
1.7" option to only allow use of Java 1.7 features? Or in fact can we use
1.8 happily for all our code as long as we use "-target 1.7" which should
compile 1.7 compatible bytecode?

It's an area I'm not familar enough with, but just noting we need to
understand/decide on best practice for use of -source and -target.

Nigel.

----
Nigel Jones, Analytics CTO Office - jonesn@uk.ibm.com

From:   David Radley <david_radley@uk.ibm.com>
To:     Graham Wallis <dev@atlas.apache.org>
Cc:     dev@atlas.apache.org
Date:   19/07/2017 14:10
Subject:        Maven restructure

Hi Graham,
>From our discussion yesterday with Hortonworks, ING and IBM, I wanted to
say that your proposal to clean up the Maven dependancies looks great - as

you said this means that we will be able to cleanly add in JanusGraph (the

replacement to Titan).

>From what I took from yesterday, Atlas is tied to Hadoop (v2) because of
its dependance on some Hadoop libraries and HBase. Hadoop is tied to java
7. So the only Titan that we can easily use is
 Titan 0.5.4 and TP 2. I wonder while you could look to split out the
Hadoop dependancies, as these seem key drivers as to what Java and graphdb

levels we can support. I wonder how compiling with Java 8 for Titan 1 /
Janus deals with the Hadoop libraries and HBase dependancy - are these
recompiled with Java 8 - how legitimate it this approach?

   many thanks , David.
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.