atlas-dev mailing list archives

From David Radley <david_rad...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Relationships diagnostics
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:01:55 GMT
Hi Madhan and Sarath,
I am playing with relationships and the glossary models. When I make
mistakes I am finding it difficult to work out what I have done wrong or
whether there is a bug somewhere. I intend to improve the diagnostics. The
error I get back from an incorrect relationship creation is not very
descriptive:

 {
    "errorCode": "ATLAS-400-00-01A",
    "errorMessage": "invalid parameters: found null entity"
}

I will look into to add more specific error messages . Something like
"guid 000-111-222 was specified on relationship 111-222-333 on end1 and
could not be found"
"guid 000-111-222 was specified on relationship 111-222-333 on end1 and
was found, the expected type GlossaryTerm, but found type Glossary,"

I think it would help in the relationshipAttributes if we could include a
displayname. So I suggest we add a displayname to each of the ends in the
RelationshipDef. The contents would be an attributename in the type. For
example the displayname of a GlossaryCategory. I think this will be really
useful when there are no unique attributes - like for GlossaryTerm and
GlossaryCategory.
We would then see these names in the entity relationship attributes. When
the glossary entity is displayed the associated categories entires would
have meaningful (but not unique) names in addition to the guid and type.

I will go ahead with the error messages - are there any objections to
including a displayname on the relationship endpoints?
  all the best, David.

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.