atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Mandy Chessell <mandy_chess...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Restrict AtlasStruct and AtlasClassification attributes to primitive and enum types
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:17:43 GMT
Hello Sarath,
These restrictions will have an impact on the open metadata and governance
type model - and I expect other models that people have built.  The impact
of this change is that many of the structs and classifications from the
open metadata and governance type model will need to be changed to an
entity plus relationship combo, creating overhead and complexity in the
model and reducing clarity.  Perhaps it would help to explain why these
restrictions are needed?

Here are some examples

The restriction that we can only have one instance of a type of
classification associated with an entity is creating a problem for
modelling social tagging and assignment of certifications to assets.  As
such we need to have an array of structs inside these classifications.
Each cell in the array represents a user's tag or a certification that the
asset has received.   In the longer term a better solution to this use
case is of course to allow cardinality on the classification

Structs and classifications often need to include a relationship.  For
example, if we use a classification to represent the terms and conditions
that apply to an asset - then ideally we would want a relationship to the
contract or license type.

I am assuming that maps and arrays considered primitive since that will
impact the Hive model.

All the best
Mandy
Mandy Chessell CBE FREng CEng FBCS
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Master Inventor
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology
Visiting Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of
Sheffield

Email: mandy_chessell@uk.ibm.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mandy-chessell/22/897/a49

Assistant: Janet Brooks - jsbrooks12@uk.ibm.com