atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Hemanth Yamijala <hyamij...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: searching for entities with tags by name
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 03:58:42 GMT
Hi,

I suspect the tag you searched for is a business term under a taxonomy, and not a regular
tag. If yes, this behavior can be explained.

It is a by-product of how business terms are implemented today. AFAIK, they are implemented
as traits. For regular traits (or tags), new instances are created whenever they are associated
with an entity. However, terms are 'singleton' traits, i.e only one instance is created and
this is looked up and associated with entities whenever the term association happens. The
singleton instance is attached to the 'Taxonomy' instance by the Business Taxonomy implementation
as a way of easily looking it up when required for association.

The side effect of this, is that when we search for a business term - because it is a tag,
the search API gets both objects (the actual association and the implicit Taxonomy object
association) in the results.

You must not see this behavior for regular tags.

Thanks
Hemanth
From: Avi Levi <avilevi3@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:45 PM
To: dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org
Subject: searching for entities with tags by name

Hi

According to the documentation, searching for entities that are
associated to tags is done using the search/dsl api:

http://<atlasĀ­serverĀ­host:port>/ api/atlas/
discovery/search/dsl?query= %60tag-name%60

in the documentation the response contains one instance in the
results, but when I execute the api call, I get two instances in the
results, one of them
is the actual entity that I've tagged, and the other one is an object
of type Taxonomy.

can anyone explain this behavior ?

thanks