atlas-dev mailing list archives

From Vimal Sharma <visha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Podling Report Draft for December 2016
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2016 16:23:19 GMT
Hi all,
Below is the revised draft. I request everyone to review it and provide suggestions.

////////////////////////////////// Report Beginning ///////////////////////////////////

Atlas
Apache Atlas is a scalable and extensible set of core foundational governance services that
enables enterprises to effectively and efficiently meet their compliance requirements within
Hadoop and allows integration with the complete enterprise data ecosystem.

Atlas has been incubating since 2015-05-05.

1. Podling name search is pending.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
No specific issues at this time to report.

1. We have added 3 new committers since the last report from different organizations. About
10 new contributors have been added since the last report. The current number of contributors
is around 70.

2. The activity on the atlas-dev mailing list stands at around 610 messages per month between
September and November [1]

3. People across various organizations are interested in exploring Atlas. We have received
comments and suggestions from people who are evaluating Atlas for their governance requirements
[5]

1. We are working towards a 0.8-incubating release in the next couple of months. This upcoming
release would include major features like structured high level REST APIs, Column level lineage
for Hive CTAS queries, entity creation/updation from Atlas UI, DSL Search improvements, Atlas
Hook support for Hive2, Knox SSO support for Atlas, addition of user defined and system attributes
to entities, Business Catalog GA

2. An abstraction layer has been added to make Atlas agnostic to the underlying graph database
version

3. A total of 186 issues were reported between Sep 1st 2016 and Nov 30th 2016. 122 issues
have been resolved in the same time [2][3]

Date of last release:
2016-07-09: 07-incubating [4]

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?
1. The PPMC voted and elected 3 new members as committers to the project on 2016-10-20: Madhan
Neethiraj, Jeffrey Hagelberg and Vimal Sharma.

Links
[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-atlas-dev/

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATLAS-1341?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20%272016-09-01%27%20and%20created%20%3C%3D%20%272016-11-30%27

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ATLAS-1335?jql=project%20%3D%20ATLAS%20AND%20resolved%20%3E%3D%20%272016-09-01%27%20and%20resolved%20%3C%3D%20%272016-11-30%27

[4] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201607.mbox/%3CCAAbv78fuzCv51E4Pn8fg7nwkJyOUQo9z2WNhsiz2EstbTvj1Gw@mail.gmail.com%3E

[5] http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/blog/case-open-metadata

////////////////////////////////// Report End ///////////////////////////////////

Thanks
Vimal

On 12/5/16, 9:17 PM, "Vimal Sharma" <visharma@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>Thanks Hemanth for the suggestion.
>I will include search related enhancements in the revised draft.
>
>Thanks
>Vimal
>

>On 12/5/16, 8:59 PM, "Hemanth Yamijala" <hyamijala@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>>Actually, one thing I forgot to mention was to include search related enhancements
being worked on for 0.8-incubating.

>>Thanks
>>Hemanth

review the content below and provide your feedback/suggestions.

>>////////////////////////////////// Report Beginning ///////////////////////////////////
>>
>>Atlas
>>Apache Atlas is a scalable and extensible set of core foundational governance services
that enables enterprises to effectively and efficiently meet their compliance requirements
within Hadoop and allows integration with the complete enterprise data ecosystem.

>>Atlas has been incubating since 2015-05-05.
>>
>>Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
>>1. Podling name search is pending.
>>
>>Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware of?
>>No specific issues at this time to report.
>>
>>How has the community developed since the last report?
>>1. We have added 3 new committers since the last report from different organizations.
About 10 new contributors have been added since the last report. The current number of contributors
is around 70.

>>2. The activity on the atlas-dev mailing list stands at around 610 messages per month
between September and November [1]

>>3. People across various organizations are interested in exploring Atlas. We have
received comments and suggestions from people who are evaluating Atlas for their governance
requirements.

>>How has the project developed since the last report?
>>1. We are working towards a 0.8-incubating release in the next couple of months. This
upcoming release would include major features like structured high level REST APIs, column
level lineage for Hive CTAS queries, entity creation/updation from Atlas UI, Atlas Hook support