asterixdb-users mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trio: AsterixDB, Spark and Zeppelin.
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:36:09 GMT
Kevin,

Q:  Could you chime back in here - please 'cc' the user list - with a
brief (maybe one paragraph) summary of what you are actually trying to
do at the moment and what its current status is?  (And your timeframe,
etc.?)

My impression until yesterday was that you were slowly/leisurely
exploring the new Spark connector to AsterixDB that Wail worked on -
essentially as his first "beta" user - and that things were moving at
the pace you wanted (and were setting).  As an early adopter, I was also
under the impression that you were using his branch for your
explorations, while he was addressing code review comments, etc.
However, when I arrived back home in OC after a trip yesterday, I was
the recipient of a message (via a back channel) warning me that there
was a blocking issue at SDSC that UCI wasn't being attentive to, one
that had AsterixDB on the brink being given up on by the UCLA folks, and
that we'd better get on it or....  (Meanwhile I had not heard any such
thing from UCLA directly; I was not aware of any blocking Spark issues
for SDSC nor of any transitively blocking implications for UCLA, and it
still doesn't look from what I see below like there was one.)

I think that we need to have SDSC's activities be much more visible here
- likewise for UCLA's - so that the Apache AsterixDB community has much
better visibility into the goals, activities, progress, and problems of
our early adopters.  The community wants users to be successful!  It
will be much more effective (and healthy and productive) if we all know
what's going on and it is clear to all how each of those things are going.

Thanks!

Mike