asterixdb-users mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Few questions about AsterixDB
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 21:13:37 GMT
1.  We parallelize pretty well for most things - we use parallel join
methods, parallel aggregation, etc.
      Our one major/known issue is that for parallel sorting (e.g.,
parallel order by) we do the final merge on one node,
      which doesn't scale well for obvious reasons.  We are working on
that and it won't be that way for much longer. :-)
2.  There is a companion piece of software called Pregelix which
supports parallel graph computations using the
      Pregel programming model (borrowed from Google).  AsterixDB can
interoperate with Pregelix, using queries to
      create graphs to pass to it, and taking the results back from it,
through temporary datasets.  We have no built-in
      algorithms, but if one had Pregel algorithms for these, that'd be
a way to get to them on Big Data.
3.  Same answer as for 2.
4.  Only through writing an application program (if I understand the
question right).