asterixdb-users mailing list archives

From Brandon Lim <brand...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: Demo not working?
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2015 22:08:36 GMT
Hi Eugenia,

So for an update regarding the demo, I was able to get the dataset in and run it with the
Tweetbook Demo successfully. The only thing worth noting regarding the larger sample size
is that the parameters for the group size might need to be significantly smaller (instead
of the smallest group size being 1 latitude and 1 longitude) because a larger sample size
means it could have thousands of tweets in one area, which would be too much to populate on
the screen at once. But overall, the demo works great. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Brandon Lim

On May 31, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:

> Hi Eugenia,
>
> My dataset is a 14 GB dataset of archived tweets that was given to me. A sample of it
can be found here:

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B131hq-YqiMHbkNXd3NUa2xGeGc/view?usp=sharing
>
> I ended up changing my query (because my X coordinates were longitude and my Y coordinates
were latitude originally) by switching the coordinates and the demo works fantastic now. Thanks
so much for the help. I will let you know if I have further questions, but for now, it seems
like it is working well.

> @Professor Carey & Ian
> We should definitely add lat/long to the documentation.
>
> Best Regards,
> Brandon Lim
>
> On May 31, 2015, at 3:44 PM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Brandon,
>>
>> AsterixDB Lat/Lng: I am pretty sure the points in AsterixDB are created with Latitude,
Longitude. Same with Google Maps API. In the Spatial docs (http://asterix.ics.uci.edu/documentation/aql/functions.html#SpatialFunctions)
example under "point", the following example is shown, and only longitude can scale up to
magnitude 180: use dataverse TinySocial; let $c := point("55.05,-138.04") return {"point":
$c}. I remember running into this exact same thing though - perhaps it would be good to specify
latitude/longitude arguments in the docs, not just x,y.

>> On recentering: I have just pushed a change that adds home_latitude and home_longitude
as their own variables - good idea! - and resets them in the resetMap() function. The function
resetMap() has the code (~ line #1118) that moves the map back to center. I don't think there
is recentering anywhere else in the demo.

>> Los Angeles Spatial issue: Could you give me a bit more information on your data
source?
>> * Are you using data from the Twitter live API, the original Tweetbook demo dataset,
or something else?
>> * Does your query on Los Angeles return results with the Query UI (127.0.0.1:19001,
on your local machine)?

>> Cheers,
>> Eugenia
>>
>> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Eugenia,
>>
>> This might not necessarily be a tweet book demo bug or anything, but just a confusion.
So for the Tweets API, the coordinates are formatted as geoJSON (longitude first, latitude
second). So for AsterixDB (the documentation doesn’t really say), is longitude or latitude
x? (I think Young-Seok told me before but I can’t find the email). Also, it seems that Google
Maps API uses latitude first, longitude second.

>> Does the demo account for these inconsistencies? I was able to input my data successfully,
and if I changed the coordinates in the tweetbook.js to

>>    map = new GMaps({
>>        div: '#map',
>>        lat: 34.05,//38.89,
>>        lng: -118.25,//-77.03,
>>        zoom: 4,
>>        draggable: false,
>>    });
>>
>> it would center it in Los Angeles like I wanted, but I wasn’t able to find any
tweets in the area and I think it has to do with the spatial intersect. Also, is it better
to put a global variable for latitude and longitude in the tweetbook.js for if we wanted to
change the starting location? Because changing it in the code above works initially, but when
you click “Clear”, it resets it to the original, so it must be hardcoded elsewhere.

>> Best Regards,
>> Brandon Lim
>>

>> On May 29, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi Brandon,
>>>
>>> Just had a chance to add the fix to the branch with a couple commits. Let me
know if it causes you any further issues. Thanks for making me aware of the issue - your feedback
is really helpful for some changes to make this demo more usable.

>>> Regards,
>>> Eugenia
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Sounds like a "feature" (bug) - let me have a look and hotfix that...
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:
>>> Hey Eugenia,
>>>
>>> I was able to get it to run with my new query and the dataset is inside AsterixDB.
I was curious to how I can change the spatial intersect of the query. Even if I put a location
in the location box for the query, once I submit the query, it just brings me back to the
default spatial area on the East Coast.

>>> Best Regards,
>>> Brandon Lim

code (or bugs :P so I can fix them)

known to git.

it said 404 not found. I couldn’t figure out how to checkout her specific branch. I was
only able to checkout the master branch.

repository? It should just be a matter of checking out that branch and doing 'mvn clean package
-DskipTests'.

for some reason. Is there another way for me to get access to your most up-to-date TweetBook
Demo?

changes and fixes on the TweetbookDemo. I'll keep an eye out on this thread if you have any
questions, or I can look through code with you on campus if you prefer.

I was playing with spatial queries, to match an older version of the geospatial demo (pre-Tweetbooks).
It's not an Asterix-related thing and can easily be removed.

but there is a function that does the trick. (however it isn't documented in master!...)

"  parse-datetime("Fri May 11 07:53:00 +0000 2012", "W MMM DD hh:mm:ss z YYYY")  " will give
the proper AQL object from the string. The first part is (obviously) the date to be parsed.
The second is the formatting string, which is not very well documented, but appears to follow
Java's convention (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html)
closely.

my dataset is handled with the dataset that is currently in use by the TweetBook demo, but
one thing is that the TweetBook demo allows it to query based on datetime.

Everything is already preprocessed.