asterixdb-users mailing list archives

From Brandon Lim <brand...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: Demo not working?
Date Sun, 31 May 2015 21:26:00 GMT
Hi Eugenia,

This might not necessarily be a tweet book demo bug or anything, but just a confusion. So
for the Tweets API, the coordinates are formatted as geoJSON (longitude first, latitude second).
So for AsterixDB (the documentation doesn’t really say), is longitude or latitude x? (I
think Young-Seok told me before but I can’t find the email). Also, it seems that Google
Maps API uses latitude first, longitude second.

Does the demo account for these inconsistencies? I was able to input my data successfully,
and if I changed the coordinates in the tweetbook.js to

    map = new GMaps({
        div: '#map',
        lat: 34.05,//38.89,
        lng: -118.25,//-77.03,
        zoom: 4,
        draggable: false,
    });

it would center it in Los Angeles like I wanted, but I wasn’t able to find any tweets in
the area and I think it has to do with the spatial intersect. Also, is it better to put a
global variable for latitude and longitude in the tweetbook.js for if we wanted to change
the starting location? Because changing it in the code above works initially, but when you
click “Clear”, it resets it to the original, so it must be hardcoded elsewhere.

Best Regards,
Brandon Lim

On May 29, 2015, at 5:31 PM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brandon,
>
> Just had a chance to add the fix to the branch with a couple commits. Let me know if
it causes you any further issues. Thanks for making me aware of the issue - your feedback
is really helpful for some changes to make this demo more usable.

> Regards,
> Eugenia
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Sounds like a "feature" (bug) - let me have a look and hotfix that...
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:
> Hey Eugenia,
>
> I was able to get it to run with my new query and the dataset is inside AsterixDB. I
was curious to how I can change the spatial intersect of the query. Even if I put a location
in the location box for the query, once I submit the query, it just brings me back to the
default spatial area on the East Coast.

> Best Regards,
> Brandon Lim
>

> On May 28, 2015, at 6:54 PM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > It's all good, let me know if you have any issues or questions about the code (or
bugs :P so I can fix them)

> > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:
> > That worked. I must’ve misspelled it twice because I tried the other day as well.
Thanks Eugenia.

> > Also, Thanks Ian!
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Brandon Lim
> >

> > On May 28, 2015, at 6:44 PM, Eugenia Gabrielova <genia.likes.science@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > Hi Brandon,
> > >
> > > Looks like you have the pathspec spelled incorrectly ("eugneia")
> > >
> > > Try
> > > $ git checkout eugenia/tweetbook-demo-fixes
> > >
> > > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Brandon Lim <brandodl@uci.edu> wrote:
> > > Hey Eugenia,
> > >
> > > I tried that, but it says
> > >
> > > git checkout eugneia/tweetbook-demo-fixes
> > > error: pathspec 'eugneia/tweetbook-demo-fixes' did not match any file(s) known
to git.

> > > When I did
> > >
> > > git branch
> > >
> > > Only master showed up.
> > >
> > > Best Regards,
> > > Brandon Lim

said 404 not found. I couldn’t figure out how to checkout her specific branch. I was only
able to checkout the master branch.

It should just be a matter of checking out that branch and doing 'mvn clean package -DskipTests'.

for some reason. Is there another way for me to get access to your most up-to-date TweetBook
Demo?

changes and fixes on the TweetbookDemo. I'll keep an eye out on this thread if you have any
questions, or I can look through code with you on campus if you prefer.

was playing with spatial queries, to match an older version of the geospatial demo (pre-Tweetbooks).
It's not an Asterix-related thing and can easily be removed.

but there is a function that does the trick. (however it isn't documented in master!...)

"  parse-datetime("Fri May 11 07:53:00 +0000 2012", "W MMM DD hh:mm:ss z YYYY")  " will give
the proper AQL object from the string. The first part is (obviously) the date to be parsed.
The second is the formatting string, which is not very well documented, but appears to follow
Java's convention (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html)
closely.

dataset is handled with the dataset that is currently in use by the TweetBook demo, but one
thing is that the TweetBook demo allows it to query based on datetime.