asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help required for AsterixDB Use case
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:13:31 GMT
(+ dev)

Yes, for reasons we don't understand, HBase is a little more popular and
better known than AsterixDB.  :-)

More seriously, http://asterix.ics.uci.edu/publications.html has
most/all of the AsterixDB publications, which may help.  They are VERY
different systems - AsterixDB is essentially what you get if you
approach the document database problem from the standpoint of giving
users "everything" they would get in a parallel relational DBMS but with
a relaxed (and you can tune how relaxed) data model - no 1NF
requirement, no schema mandate, ordered as well as unordered options for
multivalued fields, etc. - and a full query language (first AQL,
nowadays SQL++) that can do everything you can do in SQL92 and more (in
order to accommodate the data model changes).

Cheers,

Mike