asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject URGENT: Please shorten test filenames!
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2018 10:01:02 GMT
There are a number of files in asterixdb with extremely long paths; the
worst offender currently is

asterixdb/asterix-app/src/test/resources/runtimets/queries_sqlpp/index-leftouterjoin/probe-sidx-btree-non-indexonly-plan-with-join-btree-sidx1-indexonly-plan/probe-sidx-btree-non-indexonly-plan-with-join-btree-sidx1-indexonly-plan.2.update.sqlpp

which is 248 characters long. Counting the name of the asterixdb/ source
directory itself, that's 258 characters.

Fun fact: On Windows, the longest allowable path is 260 characters,
including the three leading C:\ characters. That means as of February 15
(when this file was added), it's impossible to check out AsterixDB on
Windows.

For us over at Couchbase, this has in fact broken some of our build jobs,
so it is a matter of some urgency. The absolute shortest path we can check
out AsterixDB into is C:\t\analytics\asterixdb\, which is 25 characters
long. That means the absolute longest total path in asterixdb cannot exceed
235 characters. And really, it's quite frustrating to only be able to check
out code into a single-letter directory like C:\t\, so it would certainly
be nice to have at least a couple dozen characters for our own layout, like
C:\Jenkins\workspace\name-of-build-job.

Can we please do two things:

*1. ASAP rename the test files* introduced by commit c3c2357 to something
at least 20 characters shorter. I'm not sure that this is the only commit
causing trouble, but I can tell you that only files in the following two
directories are assuredly breaking things and they were both introduced by
that commit:

asterixdb/asterix-app/src/test/resources/runtimets/queries_sqlpp/index-join/btree-secondary-non-indexonly-plan-to-secondary-indexonly-plan-equi-join_01/

asterixdb/asterix-app/src/test/resources/runtimets/queries_sqlpp/index-leftouterjoin/probe-sidx-btree-indexonly-plan-with-join-btree-sidx1-indexonly-plan

*2. Going forward,* can we possibly limit overall paths to, say, 200
characters, or even 220 characters? And maybe have a SonarQube or other
commit-validation process to prevent longer paths from going in?

Appreciate your immediate attention to at least point #1 above!

Thanks,
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery