asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wail Alkowaileet <wael....@gmail.com>
Subject PrimaryIndexOperationTracker
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 02:14:27 GMT
Dear devs,

I have a question regarding the opTracker. Currently, we initialize one
opTracker per dataset in every NC.

My question is why it's per dataset not per partition ? Is there a
transactional constraints for that ?

>From what I can see that the opTracker can create a lot of contention in
case there're many IO devices. For instance, each insert will call
*LSMHarness.getAndEnterComponents()* [1], which *synchronize(opTracker). *That
means (correct me if I'm wrong), insert is going to serialize the
*enterComponent()* part among partitions.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/asterixdb/blob/master/hyracks-fullstack/hyracks/hyracks-storage-am-lsm-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hyracks/storage/am/lsm/common/impls/LSMHarness.java#L86

--

*Regards,*