asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chen Luo <cl...@uci.edu>
Subject Adapting TimSort into AsterixDB/Hyracks
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2017 04:20:51 GMT
Hi devs,

I have adapted the TimSort algorithm used in JDK (java.util.TimSort) into
Hyracks, which gives 10-20% performance improvements on random data. It
will be more useful if the input data is partially sorted, e.g., primary
keys fetched from secondary index scan, which I haven't got time to
experiment with.

*Before going any further, is it legal to adapt some algorithm
implementation from JDK into our codebase? *I saw the JDK implementation
itself is adopted from
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Objects/listsort.txt as well.

Best regards,
Chen Luo