asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Carey <mjca...@ics.uci.edu>
Subject Time to deprecate AQL?
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 18:44:03 GMT
As AsterixDB evolves, and additional features are added - e.g., DISTINCT
aggregate support, or properly implemented query-bodied functions,
supporting two query languages is hugely expensive:  Updating two
grammars, parsers, rules, tests, ... IMO it is time to let go of AQL as
an externally supported interface to AsterixDB and only have SQL++ going
forward.  I think "everyone" has migrated - and if not we should force
that migration.  (Cloudberry is on SQL++ nowadays, BAD is on SQL++
nowadays, ...)  Any objections?  If not, I think we should make this
decision officially and stop putting energy into carrying the AQL legacy
around with us.  Thoughts?