asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modules that could be removed?
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2017 14:53:19 GMT
Likewise - I thought so too - so we should figure out what isn't working
with the extensions model!

(We do need a good model for things that don't belong in the main open
source system but that we want to run tests on regularly so that we're
hyper-aware of breakages.)

Note that I've always anecdotally gotten the impression that the
experiments package is kind of a mess/hack and makes use of things that
aren't necessarily intended to be used.  I would much much, much rather
that performance-related packages live outside the system and be banned
from doing things that normal clients cannot do...  I think this would
be a lot better for the integrity of the system (as otherwise it creates
weird dependencies, non-guaranteed assumptions/contracts, and also keeps
us from having a good/safe answer to outside cries for ways to replicate
our reported performance results).

Just my $0.005.

Cheers,

Mike

On 5/31/17 10:39 PM, Till Westmann wrote:
> Hmm, I thought that the BAD model wasn’t working too badly … little do I
> know.
>
> On the other hand it seems that the module isn’t actually used - at
> least it
> seems that there were no changes in the module related to experiments
> since
> we merged repositories. Is that right? Or has somebody worked on that
> module
> recently?
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On 31 May 2017, at 22:20, Steven Jacobs wrote:
>
>> My two cents on this is that the BAD model doesn't work well, so I'd
>> personally be against following it. I would vote to keep it inside as
>> well.
>> Steven
>>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 10:02 PM abdullah alamoudi <bamousaa@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If that is the case (which makes sense), then keeping it inside and
>>> cleaning it up might be the better approach.

>>> /dev/null for old code.
>>> *must* be treated as -1 Jenkins bit.

>>> asterix-experiments

>>> approach?

>>> seems

>>> super

>>> current
>>> pre-compiled

>>> asterix-experiments/src/main/java/org/apache/asterix/experiment/builder
>>>>>>>>>
>>> asterix-experiments/src/main/java/org/apache/asterix/experiment/report

>>> repo,

>>> 'asterix-tools'

useful for
>>> everyone,