asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Riyafa Abdul Hameed <riy...@apache.org>
Subject Support GeoJSON in AsterixDB
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2017 09:24:29 GMT
Hi all,

As the first step in resolving ASTERIXDB-1371 we plan to add support for
GeoJSON[1]. Hence initially a datatype known as 'Geometry' would be
implemented. Since we plan to use Esri-geometry-api[2] to achieve this, the
internal representation of the Geometry objects need to be in WKB(Well
Known Binary) format.
GeoJSON is also defined in JSON. Currently as I understand the JSON objects
and arrays are represented by the Record and OrderedList datatypes
respectively. But they are not internally parsed into WKB format. Thus it
wouldn't be possible to reuse them unless we write our own implementation
to convert these types to WKB format.

Hence my question is if it is a good idea to change the javcc grammar
(grammar.jj) to parse Geometry types directly which could then be
internally represented in the WKB format.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7946
[2] https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java

Thank you.
Yours sincerely,