asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wail Alkowaileet <wael....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License issue when using esri geometry api
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2017 18:47:23 GMT
I can see from the code that there is a serder steps as such: Asterix
Object (binary) --> JSON (String) --> Esri geometry (Java object) --> Esri
geometry (binary).
I think it would be nice if there is a binary-to-binary conversion without
any deserialization (4th option).

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed that 3 or 4 are what we'll need to do....!  (Sigh.)
>

> On 6/25/17 5:57 AM, Till Westmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Riyafa,
>>
>> I think that the problem is bigger than the failing test. The JSON
>> license itself is not acceptable for inclusion in an Apache artifact
>> [4]. So we cannot use the ESRI API as-is, if we want the GeoJSON
>> functionality be a non-optional part of AsterixDB.
>>
>> Here are a few options I see:
>> 1) Make GeoJSON an optional part of AsterixDB (separate download from a
>>    non-Apache location).
>> 2) Make JSON.org a dependency that is not shipped (i.e. each user would
>>    have to download and install those jars separately - and get error
>>    messages if the jars are not available).
>> 3) Create a clone/copy of the ESRI API that uses another JSON library.
>> 4) Do all of the parsing independently from the ESRI API.
>>
>> I’m not sure if 1) is a good option as the extensibility in this part
>> of the code might not be sufficient to support this option easily.
>> 2) is technically easier, but it involves an unpleasant user
>> experience.
>> Also, I think that both 1) and 2) are not desirable, as GeoJSON should
>> be supported by vanilla AsterixDB.
>> For 3) and 4) we would need to look into the details to see how much
>> work is required for each of those options and if there are other legal
>> hurdles.
>>
>> Are there other options?
>> Other thoughts/concerns?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> [4] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x
>>
>> On 25 Jun 2017, at 13:57, Riyafa Abdul Hameed wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I implemented parse_geojon() function[1] using esri-geometry api[2] which
>>> is apache-2.0 licensed. But this api uses org.json as a dependency.
>>> org.json is licensed under JSON which causes a license issue in the code
>>> have written[3]. What can I do about this issue?
>>>
>>> [1] https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/1838
>>> [2]https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java
>>> [3]
>>> https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-gerrit-integ