asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License issue when using esri geometry api
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2017 12:57:53 GMT
Hi Riyafa,

I think that the problem is bigger than the failing test. The JSON
license itself is not acceptable for inclusion in an Apache artifact
[4]. So we cannot use the ESRI API as-is, if we want the GeoJSON
functionality be a non-optional part of AsterixDB.

Here are a few options I see:
1) Make GeoJSON an optional part of AsterixDB (separate download from a
    non-Apache location).
2) Make JSON.org a dependency that is not shipped (i.e. each user would
    have to download and install those jars separately - and get error
    messages if the jars are not available).
3) Create a clone/copy of the ESRI API that uses another JSON library.
4) Do all of the parsing independently from the ESRI API.

I’m not sure if 1) is a good option as the extensibility in this part
of the code might not be sufficient to support this option easily.
2) is technically easier, but it involves an unpleasant user
experience.
Also, I think that both 1) and 2) are not desirable, as GeoJSON should
be supported by vanilla AsterixDB.
For 3) and 4) we would need to look into the details to see how much
work is required for each of those options and if there are other legal
hurdles.

Are there other options?
Other thoughts/concerns?

Cheers,